Monday, August 13, 2007

Language

I am bleeding words. After just a few days of language training, I find myself overflowing with new phrases, new grammar. It sinks into the creases of my mind, and flows out feeling unexpectedly natural. You can't think about it, can't try to translate; what Nepali I am managing to speak doesn't feel like something is said, it feels like something that happens. Every new part of speech I learn, I can't help but want to extrapolate, to find the whole language. It is incredible how many possibilities are unlocked by learning words as simple as "this" and "that."

Learning a language in such immersion is like drowning in deep water. A part of you is screaming, desperate for land, but deep down you know that, if you can only learn to swim quickly enough, you can not only survive but thrive.

This tongue is so beautiful, it wounds me with its acuity.

No comments: